Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How to grow bean sprouts.

If you look after a green iguana you want to make sure it get's fed properly. A good variation is of much importance as they are fussy eaters. I remember my big boy being rather complicated when I 'rescued' him about 2.5 years ago. He didn't like eat what I offered, turned up his nose or would ignore it, because he didn't know it. Though it took a while, he's now basically tucking into anything I present him. He's learned I'm a good food provider, the little bugger.

Recently, I decided to dust off my biosnacky germinator and went back to growing my own sprouts again.

Bean sprouts

Not only for the iguana, but also for me. I grow mainly alfalfa, but I also love bean sprouts and purple radish and ordinary salad cress. The iguana loves all of them, so do I. Alfalfa and radish sprouts are brilliant on a salad. I particularly like the radish sprouts on fresh rye or sourdough bread, on PHILADELPHIA cheese with a pinch of salt. Delicious. To grow your own sprouts is also much cheaper, given that the iguana eats so much now, that he's so huge.

Here a comparison, him 2.5 years ago and today:



No comments:

Post a Comment