Thursday, August 12, 2010

How my writing changed

Recently, I sent the beginning of my current novel to a trusted friend. When I told her what I had planned, a few months back, she said straight out, she can't see this working. She loves my book No Wings Attached, but this new one, she said, is very different to that.

I agree, it is different. If you wrote comedy successful, and are a funny person in general, everybody expects you to write humour. But since I learned a lot about writing and the dos and don'ts, I have improved, let's say 100%.

My goal is, to write in as many genres as possible. And of course, I also wanted to rise with the challenges. While I jotted down a whole 2500 words in one go without paying attention to repetition, beginning of paragraphs, adverbs and the like, I now choose the words I type carefully. It pays off, I must say I'm very proud of my latest baby.

You might wonder what my friend said after she read it. Her words: I'm transfixed, your staccato style is hypnotising. I didn't expect to like it that much, can't wait to read more. Plus she said the difference between my first book and this one is clearly noticeable.

Trust me, she's not being kind, if she feels the need to rip something apart, she does. She has done so in the past.

I will continue to be square...

No comments:

Post a Comment